Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Slow-Mo Swift footage makes them sound like Monkeys!

I was delighted to get confirmation today,

that I have at least TWO young Swifts in my first nest.

* * * * *
* * * * * 

Earlier in the morning I could only see one.

* * * * *
* * * * * 

With these boxes having been adapted to cope with the extra heat, being on a South facing wall,
I was interested to see this one, tongue out & gasping in the heat, around the middle of the day.
However, they've already come through the hottest spell of weather we've had since 1976,
so I think they'll be fine.

* * * * *
* * * * *

Next, I got a few photos of an adult leaving the nest box.

* * * * *
* * * * *
* * * * *
* * * * *
* * * * *

I then set about getting some video footage of adults entering & leaving the nest box.
This compilation of clips includes each clip twice, with the 2nd clip slowed down by 50%.
It's fascinating to hear their scream which, when slowed down, sounds more like a screech
from a monkey. 

* * * * *

Video

* * * * *

Although the recommended minimum height to set boxes for Swifts is 5 metres,
I put these as high as I could, while tucking them all under the soffit board, to shade them from at least some of the heat from the sun.
It's interesting then to note that this first pair chose the 2nd lowest box, despite none of the other boxes being occupied.
An important factor, I believe, in siting boxes is to make sure they have a long, clear & flight path
directly in front of the boxes. This photo shows the clear run my Swifts have, from the boxes out
past the stables & on out over our paddock.

* * * * *
* * * * *







No comments:

Post a Comment